When it comes to custom restorations, dental crowns are among the most common. Used for decades in dentistry, crowns can restore and reinforce decayed or damaged teeth. Traditionally, two appointments were necessary to place a crown.
At our Montreal, QC dental practice, we offer same-day crowns with CEREC® technology, offering convenience and unparalleled care for our patients.
About Dental Crowns
A crown is a tooth-shaped, custom-made restoration that fits over the entire tooth structure. Crowns can be crafted from various materials, including metal, all-ceramic, porcelain-fused-to-metal (PFM), or zirconia. Today, most patients choose tooth-colored crowns that blend in seamlessly with their smile.
Like most dental restorations, crowns will need to be replaced at some point. However, with proper care and maintenance, they can last upwards of 20 years.
When Are Dental Crowns Necessary?
If a cavity is too large to be repaired with a dental filling, a crown may be recommended. Crowns can also be used to strengthen weakened teeth or repair teeth damaged by large fractures. In addition, crowns can be used to restore dental implants and root canal-treated teeth.
About CEREC Technology
CEREC is one of the leading CAD/CAM systems. Computer-assisted design (CAD) and computer-assisted manufacturing (CAM) are essential to the fabrication of same-day crowns.
How does this technology work? CEREC uses digital diagnostic imaging to produce an accurate virtual replica of your teeth and gums. From these images, a custom restoration is designed with our cutting-edge software.
Once complete, the files are uploaded to an in-office milling machine, where the crown can be crafted in about one hour while the patient waits.
Same-day Crown Treatment Process
Patients who receive same-day crowns at Montreal Smiles generally follow a basic treatment process. This includes:
- Tooth preparation: To begin, small amounts of enamel must be removed from the affected tooth. This will allow for a proper fit.
- Digital impressions: Once the tooth has been reshaped, digital impressions will be taken with our CEREC handheld wand. These images will be uploaded directly to our design software.
- Designing the crown: Paying close attention to your unique dental anatomy, your doctor will design a virtual version of your new crown. This is typically completed chairside, and you will be able to watch the process on the computer monitor.
- Crown fabrication: Once your doctor is satisfied with the design of your crown, the images will be sent to our in-office CEREC milling machine, which will custom-craft your restoration from a solid block of porcelain.
- Placement of crown: When your crown is ready, your doctor will place it over your tooth and check the fit. It will then be bonded into place with a high-quality dental cement, and any last-minute adjustments will be made.
Benefits of Same-day Crowns
Compared to traditional dental crowns, same-day restorations offer a number of advantages. These include:
- Convenience: Patients can receive a brand-new crown in one office visit, with no need for multiple appointments.
- Natural-looking aesthetics: Because CEREC crowns are made from ceramic porcelain, they offer an incredibly lifelike result.
- No temporary crown: Because traditional crowns require two office visits, a temporary crown is used in the meantime to protect the tooth. With CEREC, no temporary is necessary. This eliminates excess lab costs and hidden fees.
- Safety and efficacy: Dental ceramic is biocompatible. Therefore, the risk of an allergic reaction is extremely low.
Schedule a Consultation Today
Do you need a dental crown? Find out if you are eligible for a same-day crown with CEREC. To learn more, contact us online or call us at (514) 733-3933.